Whitehouse Communications is an issues led communications agency, specialising in public affairs, policy analysis, media relations and crisis communications. We advise clients on how to effectively and positively engage with key decision makers in Westminster, Whitehall and local government.
We are looking for a candidate who can hit the ground running in forming relationships with clients, working with a good degree of independence and contributing enthusiastically to business development.
- Monitoring political institutions including the daily Parliamentary papers, Hansard, forthcoming business of the House of Commons and the House of Lords, transcripts of debates, legislation, written and oral questions and the other proceedings of Parliament, and highlighting issues of note for clients and circulating information internally as appropriate.
- Monitoring government departments and public policy announcements, consultations, calls for evidence and press releases, and highlighting issues of relevance for clients.
- Monitoring the devolved political institutions as required.
- Responsibility for weekly or regular monitoring documents and update emails to clients.
- Preparing and updating comprehensive stakeholder lists and acting as a central reference point for all databases and contact lists; providing clients and staff members with biographies of Parliamentarians and officials as necessary.
- Supporting consultants in the drafting of briefings, policy audits, research papers and select committee submissions and consultation responses for clients under guidance from your line manager.
- Drafting correspondence to key Parliamentarians and officials and chasing for responses.
- Scheduling meetings between MPs, officials and clients, and preparing briefing packs ahead of meetings.
- Supporting in the organisation and delivery of events such as seminars, roundtable discussions and Parliamentary receptions as requested under guidance from your line manager.
- Conducting research on a variety of policy and regulatory issues to support client work and new business.
- Attending and providing reports on relevant meetings or hearings.
- Supporting internal communications where our role is to provide Secretariat services to a trade body or other coalition of companies and organisations.
- Supporting the team in the promotion of Whitehouse via social media, blogs,etc.
- Any other tasks as required.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to understand how policy decisions are taken and to relay this information internally to client leads.
- Experience of summarising complex policy matters in a short space of time.
- Understanding of the workings of Parliament and a basic understanding of how to use Parliamentary levers for influence.
- Good organisational skills.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and familiar with relevant Parliamentary programmes and search engines.
- An enthusiasm for politics and desire to work in political communications.
- The post will be available starting July 2021
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme;
- Wellness app subscription;
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Hybrid working model;
- Bi-annual reviews focusing on personal development;
- Significant investment in personal growth: hands-on internal training from public relations and public affairs colleagues and opportunities for external training;
- A sociable team – regular team social with drinks and snacks provided.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you would be the right candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be sent with ‘Application Public Affairs’ as subject line and no later than 18th June 2021, however early applications are encouraged. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.